RE: Employment question

Subject: RE: Employment question
From: <jan -dot- arnopolin -at- thomson -dot- com>
To: <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:47:04 -0500

An interesting situation and I've read all the posts on the list thus
far.
Years ago I worked for a large firm that specialized in commercial and
multi use real estate. We had a pretty big IT department, including 3
full time trainers and 4 full time writers. I worked numerous projects
with my ideological opposite. We both knew where each other stood on
the political spectrum and we'd have many heated discussions, but always
knew when to pull back. Both of us came on board with the company
around the same time.
As many people have already stated, it is highly unethical to deny the
candidate a position because of his/her political views. And if you
actually gave that as a reason to the candidate, I'm certain there's a
lawyer somewhere who would have a field day.
You can, however, state that the candidate is not a good fit. The
candidate is qualified, but the group doesn't feel the candidate will
fit in with the group, corporate culture, whatever. And if it was the
candidate who brought up politics at lunch, all the more reason to use
non-fit.
All that being said, gut reactions are usually telling. Who knows?
Maybe the candidate felt as uncomfortable with the group's political
leanings as the group did with the candidate's.
Personally, I wouldn't hire someone I didn't think I could get along
with, someone I thought wouldn't fit in with the rest of my co-workers.
Just my opinion.

Jan Arnopolin
Technical Writer
Thomson Elite
Phone: 312.873.6784
Fax: 312.873.6801
www.hubbardone.com
jan -dot- arnopolin -at- thomson -dot- com

Hubbard One, a Thomson Elite business