RE: "Saved sorts"

Subject: RE: "Saved sorts"
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Stephanie Bryant'" <mortaine -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:59:09 -0700

I know this word, I just can't remember it. I went to M-W.com to get a
synonym and found "grouchy" and "irritable." No! Neither of those is the
word I'm looking for...

"Save your grouchy" just won't work.

NIST uses the word "sort" and also uses the words "arrangement" and
"derangement." So I guess you can "derange" your sort order.
http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/sort.html

"Order" is the best word for documentation that I can think as an
alternative to "sort," but usually I see it as "sort order."

SQL uses "ORDER BY" in SELECT statements and this probably the term that you
are thinking of. SELECT defaults to ascending order, but also accepts the
modifiers "ASC" and "DESC" for ascending order and descending order. The
typing convention in SQL is to use uppercase for SQL clauses.

Lauren