Re: Most illogical documentation

Subject: Re: Most illogical documentation
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 00:52:48 +0530

One of my writers once wrote the documentation for a service management
system (IN) in the telecom domain. Installing the system was a complicated
and cumbersome affair, and it took a little over a couple of months before
we had a procedure that worked fairly successfully.

The engineering manager insisted that the installation procedure should be
included in online help.

We fought long and hard over the decision, and although the engineering
folks eventually agreed it was not the smartest idea in the world, they
decided to go that way. We also shipped a PDF document.

So after you installed the service management system, you could go into
online help and read about how to do it right.

Edwin

P.S. And how about those trouble-shooting guides that just tell you to call
up tech support...?