Lack of self-awareness in a writer...what to do?

Subject: Lack of self-awareness in a writer...what to do?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 09:32:44 -0400

The perpetually stressed Anonymous, who historically has an
astounding range of problems compared with the rest of us <g>,
reports a serious problem with someone promoted to the position of
senior writer in another department, and then transferred into Anon's
department -- and who now proves to be unable to do the work, or to
understand what they're doing wrong despite repeated explanations.
(Many details snipped.) Anon, Anon. asks: <<Tom says he understands
our process and then continues to do what things how he's used to. It
looks passive aggressive, but I'm not sure that's it. He seems to
genuinely want to do it right but it's not happening. There's a
disconnect in his head between what he says he knows and what he
does. Tom thinks they map and they don't... I can't get thru to him.
I'm beginning to think this is a failure of my management.>>

Communication always takes two parties for success: if you're
failing, then clearly he must share some of the responsibility for
the failure too. From your description, it seems like you're being
more than reasonable and helpful and doing your absolute best to make
the problem clear and help Tom fix it. That tells me the vast
majority of the responsibility is Tom's, not yours.

Sometimes, what it comes down to is that the person simply won't work
in the current position, and you have to do the difficult thing of
firing them, or moving them elsewhere where they can succeed. To do
that, you've got to do due diligence to prove your point. A few
thoughts on how you should do this: http://www.geoff-hart.com/
resources/2002/employees.htm

Of course, you also note: <<As the engineering writer, he wrote (?)
technical material that went on the support site and did other
writing. Reading his work from both times, I suspect strongly he
gathered what others wrote and put it all together into one place.>>

Sometimes it's possible to ignore a bunch of weaknesses and instead
focus on one strength. For example, I talk a good line about graphics
(I understand it thoroughly), but lack the physical or mental skills
to actually draw. But I can work with a graphics person to produce
kickass graphics because I know the techniques and I know what needs
to be done and why -- even if I can't do it myself. If you feel that
Tom did a great job of gathering material together (i.e., research
and organization), could you make that his primary job, and leave the
writing to those who can write? By doing this work, he takes some of
the burden off others and lets them focus on what they're good at,
namely the writing that Tom can't do.

If not... well, sometimes the only solution really is to fire the
employee or move them elsewhere, hard though that may be.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList