RE: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)

Subject: RE: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:39:31 +0800

I take Dan's point--the choice of a right number of hours is arbitrary
and depends on the person, occupation, location, and in particular the
era. In Dickens don't the clerks all work full days from Monday to Saturday?

I do think there's a point of diminishing returns. Your sixtieth hour in
a given week won't be as productive as any of the first forty hours. In
fact if you work sixty-hour weeks for any length of time none of those
hours will be as productive as a normal hour in a forty hour week.

So while I wouldn't try to make a general distinction between 40-hour
clock watchers and 45-hour inefficient workers, I do think long hours
*for long periods* is a sign of poor management. If the TW isn't getting
paid OT they're getting a raw deal. If they are getting paid OT then the
employer isn't getting value for money.

It would be like paying 50% extra for your eleventh beer. You don't need
it! You can't taste it!

Stuart

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList