RE: help system in pdf files

Subject: RE: help system in pdf files
From: "Rick Bishop" <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:36:39 -0500

Gina: I did this once for a client so it is certainly possible, but not fun
to create and it really sucks as a help file mainly because you have to load
the entire help file pdf as one file before the first screen is viewed. If
you anticipate only a couple dozen screens, it won't be so bad.

You can have a search page and linked index page(s), but you can't scroll
inside a page, and the programmers will hate you when you give them a huge
list of 'views' links to set up the context sensitive links.

And updating after release? Forget it. You have to recreate the pdf, which
throws off all your views, forcing you to submit a completely new list of
context links to the programmers to edit for the next release. This means
your version is always one behind.
Rick