RE: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)

Subject: RE: 40-hour weeks (was Re: FWD: Lack...)
From: Mary Arrotti <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:34:21 -0700 (PDT)

Agree with Dan.

Earlier in my career, I interviewed with an HR person for a position. She asked if I would be willing to work overtime. I said I was used to working overtime and was fine with some overtime but didn't want to work excessive overtime on a regular basis. Her face froze.

I then explained that I'd often worked a extra few hours a week and in crunch times - much more than that. But I'd also been in situations where I regularly worked 70-hours weeks & once over 90-hours. I felt that was excessive. Still no unfreezing.

I doubt the job required 70+ work weeks. But she just didn't seem to grasp that overtime just means working X amount of time beyond the normal work week. What X amounts to is the real factor.

When I worked crazy overtime (as opposed to normal overtime??), I was pretty unhappy & it did have an adverse affect on my non-work life. It was a truly great decision to leave that job.

But I have worked with a few people who refuse to work any time beyond a normal work week - even when they have benefitted from flex time and other employer incentives. No matter what happens (pc crash, last minute changes) they are out the door 1 minute after their normal quitting time. Sometimes other people in the group had to carry the load - stay late. I don't think the reason or motivation for their lack of *any* overtime was fear of burnout or that an occasional extra hour would unbalance their lives. Usually, it was because they had a long commute, other responsibilities, or plans. And it was less of a sacrifice for *someone else* to put in the extra time. Yet somehow I believe (and I'm talking about specific people here) that if the HR person had asked them if they'd work overtime - they would have said Yes without any hesitation.

Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:
Geez, "guaranteeing." How about "risking"?

Jim's not the only one. For some reason, this discussion has launched a
slew of generalities and absolutes. What happened to terms like,
"often," "usually," "tend to," "probably," etc.? I dunno, maybe the
subject of work hours is too sensitive to allow for the possibility that
there are exceptions to the rule.

I agree that excessive work hours are harmful to productivity,
efficiency, quality, and job satisfaction. But I once worked on an
over-40-hour-a-week team where all of the above were excellent. We
probably averaged around 45 hours per week; if we had averaged 50 hours,
*that* would have been excessive. For us. In our situation. At that
time.

As for you, Your Mileage May Vary.

Geez.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList