RE: 40-hour weeks

Subject: RE: 40-hour weeks
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: 'Richard Lewis' <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>, Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:00:14 -0400

Ah, so this is a framing discussion.

>From the perspective of the goals of the enterprise as a whole, that big
chunk of your time is "unproductive" because it is consumed by merely
countering the misdirected (and unproductive?) efforts of other members of
the organization.

Nevertheless, it's what you have to do, because you can't get to the
"productive" part of your job until you get past the internal obstacles.

Therefore, from the narrower perspective of your job and that of your
immediate supervisors, you are working toward getting what you need, in the
most productive manner available to you.

Contrast that with somebody who puts in 20% biz-related effort between bouts
of day-dreaming, web-surfing, stock-ticker-watching, non-work e-mailing,
phonecalls to/from non-biz people, etc.

So, I'd say your point is valid and relevant, but requires a different
framing than the rest of the thread has touched.

We could probably start a separate thread about the in-house obstacles that
we TWs face to getting on with our jobs (not just the cliché grumpy SME, but
endemic cultural and procedural blockages).

Kevin

_____