RE: desktop search recommendations

Subject: RE: desktop search recommendations
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Kevin McLauchlan" <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:37:21 -0500

Kevin, indexed file types are noted below -- and the WDS help also
describes ways to make the software further extensible through iFilters:
*********

"Searchable file types
Microsoft Windows Desktop Search indexes more than 200 of the most
common file types, all of which are listed below.

However, Windows Desktop Search cannot index every type of file. To
enable Windows Desktop Search to search more file types, you can use an
IFilter, which is a component of the indexing service included with
Microsoft Windows 2000 and later. If a file type you want to search for
is not listed, you may be able to download an IFilter that allows
Windows Desktop Search to index that file type. For more information,
visit the Desktop Search iFilters website, or the iFilter.org website.

E-mail
Windows Desktop Search will index the contents of the following file
types:

eml
msg

Note

If a .msg file contains another .msg file as an attachment, only the
name of the attached .msg file is indexed.

Contacts
Windows Desktop Search will index the entire contents of the following
file types:

vcf
Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

vcard

Appointments
Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

ics
vcs

Documents
Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

ade
adp
mpd
mde
mpc
mpp
mpv
vdx
mpx
vsl
vst
vsw
vsx
vtx

Text documents
Windows Desktop Search will index the entire contents of the following
file types:

doc
dot
htm
html
mht
one
rtf
txt
xml

Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for:

pdf
To search the full contents of this file type, download the IFilter now.

dvi
eps
jnt
latex
pm
pm5
ps
pt5
rtx
tex
xml

Spreadsheets
Windows Desktop Search will index the entire contents of the following
file types:

xls
xlw

Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

csv
tsv
wks
xlb
xlc
xll
xlm

Presentations
Windows Desktop Search will index the entire contents of the following
file types:

pot
pps
ppt

Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

ppz

Music
Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

aac
aif
aiff
amf
au
cda
dfs
dss
far
m3u
mid
midi
mp3
mus
okt
p16
psm
ra
ram
rmi
s3m
snd
sng
stm
ult
uw
voc
wav
wma
xm
xmi

Pictures
Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

3ds
a11
ai
ani
anm
art
b_w
b&w
b1n
b8
bga
bit
bld
bm
cdf
cdr
cmp
cps
cvs
dib
dip
dcx
dkb
dw2
dwg
fh3
fh4
fit
flc
fli
gcd
gif
gl
gsd
hrf
hs2
hsi
iax
ica
jas
jff
jpc
icb
jpe
jpeg
jpg
jtf
lbm
mpt
msp
nc
neo
pct
pcx
pda
pdd
pgm
pix
png
ppm
psd
pse
qdv
rgb
rif
rip
rix
rl4
rl8
sg1
tif
tiff
van
vda
vdr
wmf
xif
xpm

Video
Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

asf
asx
avi
awm
cmv
m1v
mmm
mov
mp2
mpa
mpe
mpeg
mpg
mpv2
mwf
qt
vue
wmv
wvx

Other
Windows Desktop Search will index the entire contents of the following
file types:

bat
cmd
cpp
cxx
dif
disco
hpp
hxx
idl
inc
inf
inx
js
nws
pl
ppa
pwz
rc
reg
resx
slk
url
vbs
xla
xld
xlt
xlv
xsl

Windows Desktop Search will index the file name and metadata for the
following file types:

acf
aifc
ascx