Re: Preferences versus defaults

Subject: Re: Preferences versus defaults
From: "Susan W Gallagher" <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Debra Graham" <debra -dot- graham -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:51:09 -0700

To me, "default preferences" is an oxymoron -- there are defaults and there
are preferences and they are different.

When you first install software, any options that the application offers are
set to arbitrary values and these are the _default_. If the user does
nothing, the software operates perfectly well using the default values.

If users don't want to use the default values for any reason, they may
access the applications _options_ and set (change) the values from the
default value to their _preference_. Preferences are persistent and replace
the application's defaults.

My two cents
-Sue Gallagher

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList