Re: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job

Subject: Re: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Richard Lewis" <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 08:25:21 -0700

It depends on what your "ethics" are. Mine say that I comply with the
terms of my existing contract. So what does yours say? Is your
employment by the company "at will?" If so, you can leave with
whatever notice you consider reasonable. Or does it have a cancellation
clause? If so, you need only give the client company whatever notice
it requires, or if you need to leave sooner, pay the client whatever early
cancellation payment the contract calls for.

>From a practical viewpoint, it is likely that once you bail early on a
contract that client won't want to use you again and may tell anyone
who asks that you didn't finish your contract, so you need to
balance the potential loss of repeat business, good references, etc.,
against whatever the "better paying opportunity" offers and decide
if the long term loss is worth the short time gain. However, this is
not really an "ethics" matter, so long as you comply with the terms
of your current contract.

Gene Kim-Eng