Re: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job

Subject: Re: Ethics of Jumping To Another Contract Job
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:36:57 -0700

James Barrow wrote:
>> Gene Kim-Eng said:
>>> John Posada wrote:
>>>
>>> The rate was agreed on for the term that was agreed on. When the term
> changes, >>why shouldn't the rate be considered? After all, you now know
> more, so you are >>more productive...you are more valuable and they should
> be prepared to pay for >>that additional value.
>
> I'm really not following this logic. 'Knowing more' just means that a
> contractor wasn't sub-par during the initial term and there wasn't a huge
> learning curve. Now, if the contractor was an absolute superstar and went
> above and beyond the call of duty, a rate increase after the initial term
> seems appropriate.

I think the logic makes sense--it is somewhere between an economic
consideration (opportunity cost) and piracy.

I've been on jobs where in the course of 6-24 months, I become the tech
writer they wanted; I am now an integrated, efficient, productive member
of the project team. The company has basically invested 6-24 months pay
to develop me as their tech writer.

So, with this experience under my belt, I could be worth more on the
open market. My rate could go up a dollar or two. I know that it takes
years of this kind of climbing to get to the big bucks that tech writers
need to have any sort of security for retirement, health care, raising a
family, buying a house, etc. So I say to my employer, "Look, you've sunk
a bundle into developing me as your tech writer. I don't want to seem
ungrateful, but my circumstances dictate that I maximize my revenue
stream by working for the highest bidder. (It would be costing me money
to continue with you at the rate you're paying me, because I could make
more with Company X.) So you need to know that I've had other offers
for more money. Would you care to re-bid for my services at the end of
this contract, or is my work all done here?"

The agency and employer usually react to this sort of overture as if I
were resorting to blackmail. So I find that it is better to let them
know up front, when it doesn't cost them anything and doesn't upset
their immediate efforts to place a writer. I say, "If the contract is
extended, I want a review of my work and an opportunity for a rate
increase." I plant this at the end of our salary negotiations, which
nearly always come out with a lower rate of pay than I am worth.

I think there might be a miniseries in this scenario. "Pirates of the
Cubie Farm" or some such. Producers, anyone?

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList