RE: "Tech writers" are not "tech writers"

Subject: RE: "Tech writers" are not "tech writers"
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Chris Borokowski'" <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:12:11 -0700

> Behalf Of Chris Borokowski
>
> I admit, the phrase "technical communicator" has some appeal. Either
> that or we go with a Web 2.0-style title like "Explainer" or
> "Techno-Symbolic Synthesis Translator."
>
> For the short term, tech coms? Techoms? Tekoms? Tech cons?
>
> --- Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net> wrote:
>
> > Maybe this is another god reason to call ourselves "Technical
> > Communicators"?
> >
> > But- even if we do, what's the short term to replace "Tech writer"?

Ahh, the inspiration. How 'bout expanding the last one a little, "Human
Interface Heuristics Techno-Symbolic Synthesis Translator"? Or reducing it
to "Techcomm," prounced like Beckham.

Well now I have questions about the term Technical Communicator.

Personally, I am not a fan of using the term "Technical Communicator" when
the discipline focuses on writing because "Communicator" implies other forms
of communication, like lectures. I won't do that. Plus, what is the
difference between a Technical Communicator and a Technical Writer? There
may be people that call themselves Technical Writers when they are not
qualified, but how would a change in the job title prevent this?

There are also different levels of Technical Writer, for example, a TW I
will perform basic TW tasks with supervision, while a TW IV will perform
advanced tasks without supervision and may even supervise others.
Additionally, there is the role Senior Technical Writer. How does Sr. TW
differ from TC?

The term "Technical Communicator" really didn't get a warm response when it
was launched on the market around ten years ago, how are things different
today? It also doesn't seem to be picking up steam now since Dice had only
one hit for the title "Technical Communicator" in my search today.

If the issue is that technical writers are tasked with more responsibility
than what is expected in the current description of Technical Writer, than
wouldn't the person be performing skills from another discipline and deserve
a title consistent with the work performed, rather than an new title? A
technical writer performing sufficient business analysis tasks could be a
Business Analyst. A technical writer that sufficiently supports project
management could be a Project Coordinator or even a Project Manager,
depending on the work provided. A technical writer that conducts training
sessions is a Technical Trainer.

All of the disciplines I described (Business Analyst, Project Coordinator,
Project Manager, and Technical Trainer) are a part of Technical
Communication, but they are not all the role of Technical Writer.
Technically, people in these disciplines can call themselves Technical
Communicators, but what is the support for adding the role of Technical
Communicator as new discipline? Especially, what is that support if the
communicator is primarily a Technical Writer (level I-IV, Junior, or
Senior)?

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList