RE: FrameMaker Graphics

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Graphics
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Ami WRIGHT'" <ami -at- ziplink -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:11:33 -0700

My suggestions, which may be disputed but are consistent with what I've
done, include the list that follows.

* Crop the images to what is really needed. The full screen view of the
application is really only necessary for the first, introductory image of
the application work area, whatever that is.

* Resize the cropped image in PSP to something as small as possible, but
still readable.

* Reduce the resolution the lowest resolution that is still readable. You
might want to do this before resizing. I don't know. I think that 72 might
be grainy and not always "right."

* <I guess I should mention this.> Make certain that you are using basic
display colors without gradients when you take screenshots to minimize the
number of colors used to render the graphics. This can help to reduce
graininess in lower resolutions. If you're using Windows, then pick
"Windows Default Colors" or some other similar boring scheme (theme) to
reduce your graphics colors.

* Sometimes a cropped screenshot in a basic graphics program, like Paint,
will produce smaller images.

* GIFs are good for web pages, but can screw up documents because of how
compression is handled. PNG may be okay for web and portability. JPEG
compresses better without sacrificing image quality. Bitmaps, like BMP, are
crappy. That is pretty much the extent of my graphics knowledge.

* Linked images do reduce file size.

The rest of your bullet points are about storage. If you can store your
images in a central location for all projects that's great, I tend to store
them in each project location.

My best advice is to experiment with suggestions that you get, but keep in
mind that sometimes a small graphics filesize can produce a larger than
expected filesize for your document depending on how the graphic is rendered
(I think that's right).

Lauren