Re: The coming predominance of user experience and technicalcommunications

Subject: Re: The coming predominance of user experience and technicalcommunications
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 06:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

Interfaces are pretty poor across the board now, and my experience is
that they are usually ad-hoc creations by programmers or visual artists
who are not thinking about the psychology of the user, as they never
have to step through the process and explain it in detail.

As a programmer, I ran test cases, but those are abstractions that do
not follow the path of repeating a process with variations day in and
day out; as a project manager, I was able to assess goals targetted,
but was limited in how much I could get my hands into the app to fix
it.

A technical writer who is partnered with SMEs throughout the life of
the application and is thinking of ways to make it work will know more
than any of those roles.

--- Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Gene Kim-Eng asked
>
> Why do you think that technical communicators/writers have
> any more insight into what makes a better user interface than
> the people who design them now?.......

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList