RE: The coming predominance of user experienceandtechnicalcommunications

Subject: RE: The coming predominance of user experienceandtechnicalcommunications
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Lauren <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>, 'Fred Ridder' <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:38:06 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry all, I didn't mean to be vague, but was afraid to mention the
name out loud.

"Like many developments in the history of computing, some of the ideas
for a GUI computer were thought of long before the technology was even
available to build such a machine. One of the first people to express
these ideas was Vannevar Bush. In the early 1930s he first wrote of a
device he called the 'Memex,' which he envisioned as looking like a
desk with two touch screen graphical displays, a keyboard, and a
scanner attached to it. It would allow the user to access all human
knowledge using connections very similar to how hyperlinks work. At
this point, the digital computer had not been invented, so there was no
way for such a device to actually work, and Bush's ideas were not
widely read or discussed at that time."

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/gui.ars

Vannevar -> George Senior -> George W. -> ??? 4. Profit

--- Lauren <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu> wrote:

> Could this be a reference to the president of Chris' company? Maybe
> "GUI"
> is defined as "government user interface" or something.
>
> Lauren
>

> > Behalf Of Fred Ridder
>
> <...>
>
> > Where in the world did you get that tidbit about "the grandfather
> > of our current president" contributing to either the Apple or
> Windows
> > GUI? (And for that matter, which one was it?)
> >
> <...>
> > >From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
> > >To: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>, jlshaeffer -at- aol -dot- com
> > >CC: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > >Subject: Re: The coming predominance of user experience
> > >andtechnicalcommunications
> > >Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
> > >
> > >That's not entirely clear, as many people, including the
> > grandfather of
> > >our current president, worked on the GUI before it reached a final
> > >form.

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development

Got a little couch potato?

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList