Re: Why I Hate GUI-Centric Docs (Long)

Subject: Re: Why I Hate GUI-Centric Docs (Long)
From: "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: "Janice Gelb" <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 22:37:24 -0500

The problem as I see it is that whoever created the documentation you
struggled with just plain left out the task-based portion of the
documentation. I'm a firm believer in doing both... task-based documentation
to help the user accomplish the most common tasks and reference-based
documentation (which is what you call GUI-centric documentation) to help the
user understand the nit-picky little details that never get covered in
task-based documentation. I suggest that any documentation set that provides
one without the other is poor documentation.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer