Re: English variant in Telecom materials

Subject: Re: English variant in Telecom materials
From: "Caroline Tabach" <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Lauren <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:18:04 +0300

While many high-tec companies do indeed make an effort to write their
material in American English, it seems a far fetched demand to expect
that American-English can be a dialect written specifically for (by
someone outside the US producing a set of user guides for a worldwide
audience). This sounds to me like the 2 versions of Harry Potter, one
in British English and one in American English; except that they are
intended for children, not adults (and I can understand wanting to
make the language in the books more familiar for children to read,
even though I do not agree with this policy).
I do not think that there are many companies who actually localize
their variants of English and publish a user guide for Europe and the
UK, and a different version for the US.

(unless some of you out there do make such "translations")

--
Caroline Tabach
Technical Writer

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList