RE: icons vs. buttons?

Subject: RE: icons vs. buttons?
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Keith Hansen'" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>, "'Yves JEAUROND'" <jingting -at- rogers -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:24:03 -0700

I call Microsoft's Style Guide, "MSG," but I think it's usually referred to
as MSTP. I don't care for MSG, the food additive and I don't care for MSG,
the style guide. MSTP (I guess I'll refer to it like wiki says we should)
does have many rules that are consistent with rules that I prefer, but it
also has many rules that contradict my preference. Like, one of its
examples, "On the *File* menu, click *Open*." I prefer to "select" when
there is a drop-down list, even a list from a toolbar. So I would "Select
*Open* from the *File* menu." The way I see it, Microsoft is no more an
authority of documentation style than it is an authority of documentation
software.

Microsoft doesn't really come up with anything new but it does use or mimic
tools and rules that are easiest for the general population to grasp. That
is why its software is "user-friendly." More people can "use" it, so it is
"friendly." I think that its style guide follows the same path. I have
found errors and inconsistencies in MSTP, although it's been a year since I
have used the guide, so I don't remember the errors. Some of the errors
involved examples between "correct" and "incorrect" that matched.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on MSTP as an authority, but it can be a guide
and perhaps help support arguments. I once argued about the use of a comma
before the last list item. I said that it is necessary for clarity and some
companies, like HP when I was there, require it for legal reasons, but the
company style guide said to leave it out. I mentioned that the style guide
was based on MSTP and I won the argument but not the comma. MSTP supported
my rule, but the resident tech writer did not.

Ultimately, if a company uses a style guide, then the writer should use that
guide, regardless of personal preference.

Lauren