Reviewing Tool - Not Convinced to Use One (take II)

Subject: Reviewing Tool - Not Convinced to Use One (take II)
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:44:38 -0400

Lauren noted: <<I'd go insane if I received an email everytime *I*
submitted a draft, let alone somebody else. I think that a tool like
that should be able to be programmed to send a list of submissions at
a specified time, like once a week or when the author chooses to send
the update.>>

Good point. In fact, I neglected to mention that our homegrown
version of the tool only sent e-mail to the next person (or people)
who were responsible for doing something, not to everyone. These
individuals were defined by the software for each step in the
workflow, so whenever we created a new manuscript workflow, we
defined who would be involved at each stage and never had to worry
about naming people from that point onwards -- everything was
automated. Tasks were automatically added to the relevant person's
task list as soon as a previous step was completed, so the software
could remind them of deadlines, and were removed from the task list
once the task was complete. All completed steps were archived rather
than deleted so we could go back and review them when necessary.

The system also tracked completion times so we could collect the
statistics so dear to everyone's heart. Those stats came in very
useful when we subsequently needed to tweak steps.

In terms of overall status, there were no specific advisories. Anyone
could open up the Outlook folder containing a specific manuscript to
see what steps had been completed, what ones were pending, and what
ones were delayed or had missed their deadline, but only a few folks
(including me! <bwahahaha>) had power to modify any details.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList