Re: Camtasia 4 vs Captivate 3 Screen Recorders

Subject: Re: Camtasia 4 vs Captivate 3 Screen Recorders
From: Rick Stone <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:37:08 -0500

Hi Karen

I should probably preface this with the fact I'm a bit biased. I'm an
Adobe Certified Captivate and RoboHelp instructor. So I'm a bit slanted
toward Captivate. ;)

However, I also have Camtasia 3 and 4 available on my PC. I find both
products have a place in my screen recording toolbox. While improvements
seem to have been made with Captivate and recording in full motion the
whole time. The jury is still out, as we haven't seen the shipping
version of Captivate 3. If you have tested each, you probably already
know that they record in entirely different manners. Camtasia is a full
motion recording from beginning to end, while Captivate grabs screen
captures along the way and stitches them together. Both products produce
a .SWF.

Camtasia shines at full motion (obviously) but also by being able to
insert markers along the way. Then being able to generate something of a
Table of Contents based on the markers. Captivate cannot do this.
Captivate excels at saving you work by inserting the Text Captions
automatically. Camtasia cannot do this.

Personally, I think Captivate is much easier to learn and use. But
that's the product I began using first and am most comfortable with. So
I'm probably biased there. I love using each product. But I do find
Captivate to be the easier of the two to use.

Hopefully others will also respond so as to form a more balanced view
for you.

Cheers... Rick :)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList