Re: RE: Six elementary rules for writing good english

Subject: Re: RE: Six elementary rules for writing good english
From: <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:57:50 -0400

Methinks the George Orwell quotation(s) were written by a gentleman using the accepted rules of grammar for his time period (first half of the 20th century). The use of commas, for instance, was far more common. It seems that nowadays, we (as a society) try to get away with as little as possible, i.e., cutting back on the use of these little buggers.

For instance, the use of a comma after "mind" (in "Keep in mind George...") is one of those fuzzy areas of the English language. When used as a synonym for the word "and" (for instance, in a series of objects separated by a comma), you're correct. But sometimes, the comma is used to underscore the importance of what was just stated. As in this case. (Oops! an incomplete sentence!) <grin>

Man-oh-man! You can TELL it's a Monday!!

For those who haven't yet heard about or read it, get yourself a copy of "Eats Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. It's great!!

http://www.eatsshootsandleaves.com/esl.html

-- Kenpo

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList