Monikers and Nicknames

Subject: Monikers and Nicknames
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Richard Lewis'" <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L Administrator'" <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:49:51 -0700

I have really thought about the comments by Tony Markatos, aka, Richard
Lewis, and I really feel compelled to respond, although I would rather see
the discussion about him end. I am afraid that people on this forum might
think that I have accused Tony of being a criminal because he used the name
of somebody else. This is not the case.

Furthermore, I do not want people who use nicknames to feel that I think
they are criminals, as I do not. This discussion does involve the use of
nicknames on Internet forums, such as TechWr-L, so there is value in this
part of the discussion, which involves when I think it is acceptable to use
a nickname.

What follows is my explanation of my statements above.

Nicknames in online forums have a valid and respectable purpose. I accept
that there are occasions where people in high-profile positions need to
communicate openly with a community, such as TechWr-L, and cannot risk
exposing their positions for whatever reason. I also accept and respect
that there are people in vulnerable positions, such as new technical writers
in a great job, who would like to conceal some inexperience or trick of the
trade, like communication, who feel they are best served by a anonymous
moniker. This is respectable. But somebody who, in a professional forum,
such as TechWr-L, uses the name of a live person or a name that sounds like
a live person is clearly not representing himself as somebody in need of an
anonymous moniker. I do not want to cast any shadow of criminal suspicion
on people that have a rightful need to use an obvious nickname.

I believe that Tony Markatos is wrong for using, and subsequently
representing in bad light, the name Richard Lewis. Richard Lewis is a real
person, whichever "Richard Lewis" Tony pretends to be, who should not be
portrayed as somebody else.

My response is strictly focused on my comment that relates to the concept
that "the only people who are discussed in media as requiring an identity of
another individual are criminals." I mentioned, in response to Tony, the
types of criminals who use false identities and my comments became twisted
into an accusation against Tony that I thought Tony was a criminal of this
type. This is, of course, not true. However, there are no cases or
suggestions that professionals should use the identity of other persons
while presenting themselves as professionals on the Internet, as Tony
Markatos suggests. Plus, since Tony does not conceal that he uses another
person's name, he is not really using the name as an anonymous moniker.

There is no logic to one person misrepresenting himself as another person.
Another person's name is not a nickname. Bonnie Granat mentioned that there
are times when using a pen name is necessary to avoid competition. This is
not the case for Tony Markatos on this forum, so there is no defense to his
using the name of a real name of a real person instead of his own.
Although, I do believe that people who do use nicknames have a right to use
nicknames without feeling that they are wrong for doing so. A nickname is
clearly not a person's name and there are very valid reasons to use a
nickname that I respect. So for those people, I will say to go ahead and
use a moniker because we know that you are concealing your true identity,
because the name is clearly not a given name, and, at least for me, that is
respectable.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList