Re: Graphics vs Text

Subject: Re: Graphics vs Text
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Mark the Writer" <mdb-career -at- cox -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:48:48 -0500

Although in general, I'd find it hard to say one is better than the other,
I wonder if online topics might be a special case, in the following sense:

How much information can be conveyed in one figure or illustration or
diagram, vs how much can be conveyed in verbal steps? It seems as if one
might have to page through a large number of screens to get a
complete picture of heavily illustrated online content, whereas in one
screen of steps one could go over it until it was clear.

In writing about complex topics (hard copy), I add
illustrations/figures/screen shots/tables/graphs where I can in an effort to
break up the text and perhaps help out those who are more visually oriented.
In some situations, such as a quick start guide, I'd definitely opt for
heavy illustration, but in a more complete document, one can run into the
page count issue. That said, the department in my current job is moving to
as little and brief (dare I say robotic) documentation as they can, and in
some cases, increasing the number of illustrations.

But overall, illustrations (tables, etc) have the same catches as text--if
they aren't well thought out and organized, they don't offer much.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList