Business logic of aftermarket manuals

Subject: Business logic of aftermarket manuals
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:22:52 -0400

I've worked for companies whose customers were pleasantly surprised to
receive good documentation at no extra charge.

I've also worked for companies whose customers assumed that good, free
documentation was a quality measure for the product as a whole. For
them, an incomplete manual was as bad as a loose bolt.

In both cases, the good, free documentation was good for sales. You'd
have to balance that against your sales of aftermarket documentation.

Also, remember that this issue (like many issues on TECHWR-L) isn't
limited to software. Someone could write a Dummies book for maintaining
a Ford Mustang, even though Ford already has tech writers for end-user
documentation.

-- Dan Goldstein

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList