RE: GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL)

Subject: RE: GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL)
From: Jan Cohen <najnehoc -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:10:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bonnie,

Hope you don't mind if I step in here. The discussion's pretty interesting.

It looks to me like the only real distinction between free, no-cost software and free, but *possibly* at cost software is whether or not the concept of copyleft applies. My interpretation of the information found at the two links mentioned below leads me to believe that unlike copylefted software, non-copylefted software, whether actually "free" or not, can be deemed by someone other than that software's original author as proprietary software for restricted release. If one accepts my interpretation as correct, it could follow that though Toyota's manufacturing plans and processes might be proprietary and thus restricted, they could still be free in a non-copylefted sense. That is, if one could apply the concept of copyleft to manufacturing plans and processes as one would to a software application.

I suspect that such is not the case though, as copyleft (or reciprocal) licenses look like they're only used in cases like software applications, the written word and other works of art where, e.g., a copyright might normally be applied as the alternative. OTOH, manufacturing processes and plans like Toyota's probably fall under the realm of patents. And if that's the case, even if Toyota allowed the public to come in and examine its manufacturing plans and processes, unlicensed duplication of any of its patented plans or processes could subject an offender to a civil lawsuit.

Of course, in the sense that non-copylefted software might be free but restricted, and patented manufacturing processes and plans licensable but free to authorized entities, I guess you could call them both free, but "at cost," to those that might rightfully (lawfully) possess them.

Does any of what I said make sense?

jan cohen

Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote: Greg,

I just wanted to show that I was talking about the term "free software," and it was after reading an explanation of it on that site (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html) that I posted my question. I'll go take a look at the URL you posted, though. Thanks.

OK. The URL you offered doesn't help answer my question, unfortunately.

So I guess my question still stands. "Free" software (and yes, I put scare quotes around "free" because to let the reader know that the word "free" doesn't mean "at no cost," which is the well-accepted general meaning of the word) seems to mean software code (techniques) that are given away. How does that differ from Toyota allowing the public to come in and examine its manufacturing plans and processes?

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList