RE: Insurance for Contract Technical Writers?

Subject: RE: Insurance for Contract Technical Writers?
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Pro TechWriter'" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:32:13 -0700

Hey PT,

The insurance coverage you mention is the minimum for the coverage that I
looked at, but the premium minimum was $350 for the year and that could
include more coverage, so the agent jacked up some stuff to $2M and added
things that I might not ever need. If you go through a recruiter as a W-2
employee, then they would carry the insurance, but your rate would be lower
and you wouldn't have as many tax deductions.

If you are seriously considering going 1099 with your own insurance, then
get quotes for minimum coverage and see what your options are. Your class
as a technical writer is probably "author." At least it is with The
Hartford. Sometimes, insurance agents need to know how to classify your
status.

Lauren