RE: Would like your opinion...(Reference to Related Documentation)

Subject: RE: Would like your opinion...(Reference to Related Documentation)
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "SB " <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:37:27 -0600

SB quoted an exchange between herself and A (boy, we're saving
keystrokes today!<g>):

> S >> If you need to reference, you should say, refer to the
> Switch User Manual listed under Section ...
>
> [A] I think that sounds too long winded. I like "...refer to
> Switch User Manual [1]". This is a standard form. If the
> reader doesn't know what that means he has not read many
> academic works in his life, IMO.

To which I'd reply: Is this an academic work? Is our audience made up of
professors and grad students? Even if some of the readers have read many
academic works, would they expect to see academic citations in this
manual?

I'm guessing from the manual title that the answer to all three
questions is no.

Personally, I don't get the point of the "listed under Section ..."
reference either. Why send readers to a list of other manuals in another
section of this manual? You've already told them which other manual to
go to, so that's where they should go, not to your list. Bringing the
list into it is like saying, "See foobar on page 73, as listed in the
index on page 334."

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs