RE: Quote of the Day

Subject: RE: Quote of the Day
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Jim Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:52:51 -0600

Jim Barrow wrote:

> "Writing is not a profession, but a vocation of unhappiness."
> -- Georges Simenon
>
> If I had to boil the following rant down to a simple
> question, it would be: How long does it take for a business
> to treat technical writing as a respected profession? More
> specifically, how long does it take them to stop referring to
> us as "scribes"?

Your quote sucks. I like this one much better:

"Be a scribe! Your body will be sleek, your hand will be soft... You are
one who sits grandly in your house; your servants answer speedily; beer
is poured copiously; all who see you rejoice in good cheer. Happy is the
heart of him who writes; he is young each day."
-- Ptahotpe, c. 2350 B.C.

Print that up (make it look pretty!) and hang it on your cube wall.
Embrace the title "scribe" proudly.

Assuming your work is worthy of respect, all you need to do is respect
yourself. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and treating this as an
insult, and these critics will lose the power to insult you.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer