Re: Quote of the Day

Subject: Re: Quote of the Day
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:46:55 -0700

I very seldom do these things by rewriting other peoples'
prose. Most of the people I work with don't really write
badly at all, given time. The technical writing teams I
build and manage usually do not exist because we
"write better" than everyone else, but because we're
better able to analyze documentation needs according to
product and business plans, plan the hands-on effort
required to meet those needs and then produce
documentation that is as good as (not necessarily better
than) what could be turned out by the people doing the
development than a group of developers who have to
document things at the same time they develop them.
I would probably not be attracted to a company that
wanted to hire technical writers because "our engineers
"can't write."

Gene Kim-Eng