What do you call your examples?

Subject: What do you call your examples?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Sarah Bouchier <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:57:18 -0400

Sarah Bouchier wondered: <<I have a tutorial all planned out in my
head, and then sit and stare at a blank page for ten minutes because
I don't know what to name the examples. Example users are easy
enough (Though JohnSmith1 and JohnSmith2 may be pushing it slightly)
but with company names I'm always worried in case I use the name of
a /real/ company.>>

Thanks to the power of the Internet, you can now use Example.com (try
With a little more creativity, you could up with a catchy acronym:
"Educational eXAMples Inc." is pretty lame, but you can probably come
up with something more relevant. "RTFM Industries" would be fun, but
you run the risk of offending someone. "WTFM Industries" is a fun
insider joke (Write The Fine Manual), but some people will be
offended by the more common interpretation of WTF. Could you use your
own company's name? Your Marketing folks will love you. <g>

But more context would help. Sometimes the real answer is that you
shouldn't be naming names of people and companies in the first place.
For example, I'm sure all the John Smiths in the world will be
cursing your name. <g> If you have to use real names, use only the
given name, not the family name. And try to be a little
demographically aware; Revenue Canada (last time I looked) used a
range of English and "ethnic" names of both sexes.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList