RE: Camtasia, Captivate, and other commercial or freebies

Subject: RE: Camtasia, Captivate, and other commercial or freebies
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:29:16 +0800

Well I had to make that same choice once. I think Camtasia gives a more
realistic, human feel to the software since you are recording subtle
mouse motions as is, into a video file.
Yes a bit of audacity tomfoolery is required, but so far I haven't
required the need for that.

Captivate is, probably pretty convenient for short mouse simulations
since it automates mouse clicks and captioning, and even writing the
steps for you if required. I find it however a little too tedius to view
for my liking usually, where every mouse movement is paused and
described.
However the output from captivate is probably much smaller since it is
in editable flash.

Just make sure that your software doesn't have a lot of drag and drop
motions, with that sort of complex motions, since all motions are
reprocessed into flash motion tweens, or avi for drag and drop.

cheers