What's the learning curve for DITA/SGML? Was: Job offers - need your opinion?

Subject: What's the learning curve for DITA/SGML? Was: Job offers - need your opinion?
From: "V. David" <apv -dot- david -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Techwriter List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 12:59:48 -0400

Thank you for all your replies - I knew techwr-l would come through!
I've read all of you for the past couple years and as always, am very
impressed by the thoughtfulness of the replies.
I've made up a list (as Arroxane suggested), and for the practical-minded,
it does skew towards Job 2.
Reading Geoff Hart's piece though, makes me really, really brave and gives
me the courage to say yes to Job 1.
(If Job 2 was for a technology company comparable to Brian Gause's, I'd pick
Job 2 too!)
What's also very encouraging is 'Neither job seems likely to narrow your
future options, so that's not a serious concern'.

About the recruiter - she has stated that she is paid by salary. Is this
possible? I really thought they all get paid by commission.

Brian is right on total compensation - Job 2 does offer more, as well as job
stability. But as Arroxane pointed out, take Job 1 if stability is not a
priority (yet). (Married, no kids, can afford one more year before starting
a family). And yes, I will make sure I don't mess up my taxes. The recruiter
has suggested I incorporate - the tax rates look very appealing, compared to
filing as a sole proprietor/contractor. (Any thoughts on this, btw?)

I'm devouring everything I can find about writing in DITA and most of the
information is conceptual and quite high level. I've searched and read the
archives and visited the suggested websites.
Anyone willing to share first-hand info on how they went through the
learning process?

Thank you very much for all the help - I am most grateful!
V. David

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList