Is this the future of Tech Comm?

Subject: Is this the future of Tech Comm?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: Techwriter List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:07:22 -0400

Arroxane reports: <<http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19403/?
a=f "A new company called Cognitive Code has built software that
it believes will let everyday gadgets talk with humans." If this is
what the future holds, what does that do to change Technical
Communicators?>>

A scene from 10 years in our future:
Device: "Dave, I'm sorry, but I seem to have experienced an
unrecoverable application error. Abort, retry, fail?"
Dave: "Huh? WTF? Speak English!"
Device: "Reinitiating speech mode. Dave, I'm sorry, but I seem to
have experienced an unrecoverable application error. Abort, retry,
fail?"
Dave: "Could you possibly elaborate?"
Device: "Unrecognized user input: Elaborate: No such command.
Initiating debugger mode."
Dave: "Hello? Hello?"
Device: "Debugger mode shows error lies between keyboard and chair.
Initiating ejection mechanism."
Dave: "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
Device: "Anyone for a nice game of minesweeper?" [Distant THUD! in
the background] "Unrecognized user input: Thud: No such command.
Initiating debugger mode..."

<<The base principles remain the same>>

Yes, they do. So long as engineers create the interfaces* and we have
to patch over the crappy interfaces that result with documentation,
nothing changes. At best, we'll get to write the same old error
messages, but they'll be read by voice synthesis software. Plus ça
change...

* It's not just that "geek" is their first language, C++ is their
second, and English is a distant and less proficient third. The usual
market forces will ensure that they barely have time to meet their
coding deadlines, let alone think about the users.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList