Re: Unique Documentation

Subject: Re: Unique Documentation
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: wawelsmok <wawelsmok -at- o2 -dot- pl>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 08:20:44 -0700 (PDT)

I am developing very innovative (I really doubt if anyone has done this before) software documentation for a larger scale web-based systems. Basically, I am creating data flow diagrams to then create web sites that show the systems at a high level.

When the end user (a wide variety of people) click on one of the function boxes on the high-level data flow diagram, another web page displays that decomposes the box from the high-level diagram down into sub functions. When the user then clicks on a function box on this sub diagram, another web page displays that show the sub-sub functions. I continue this decomposition until I show all the the implementation details. (Some management did not believe such was possible, but I have recently completed a significant "proof of concept" project.)

The mind best learns by going from the general to the specific, and a picture is worth a thousand words. My unique approach maximizes on these principle. And, it is an excellent way to handle a huge amount of complexity in a very complete and comprehensiveness fashion.

And all I have to do is add a hyperlink to a diagram box and the end-user can easily call up existing documentation about that component, sub system, software adapter, framework, software queue, web service, application program, etc, etc. (the web sites are being tied into SharePoint for documentation storage). Before, just locating existing documentation (this is for a large company) was a big issue, as there is a ton of such legacy docs. Now, all the end user has to do is traverse through a few web pages, make a click, and presto - the documentation is there.

And, with all the "chunks" of the system properly organized and the interrelationship between the chunks rigorously defined, I have what I need in order to create a documentation plan for dozens, if not hundreds, of new documents (functional specs, tech specs, end-user docs, run books, etc., etc.) for which paramount usability considerations (minimization of "skips" and "jump to's" in the docs) is rigorously considered.

Generic Richard

wawelsmok <wawelsmok -at- o2 -dot- pl> wrote:
Can anyone direct me to some well done, unique examples of software documentation? Something outside of the run-of-the-mill PDF guides and CHM Helps. Maybe tutorials, well designed UI, etc.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tech44writer%40yahoo.com

Got a little couch potato?

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList