Re: Unique Documentation

Subject: Re: Unique Documentation
From: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:48:57 -0700 (PDT)

Julie:

What I have been saying is:

* The main skill set in tech writing is structured writing.

* Minor formating issues to the side, structured writing is really all about analysis - that is coming up with a properly structured understanding of the product's essential functionality and then letting that understanding guide the writing process.

* What better tool for performing a structured analysis of a system than structured systems analysis (i.e., data flow diagrams)?

You stated: "In my mind, what I need is task-based user assistance, not a data-flow diagram."

My response: You are right in that your end goal is task-based user assistance - not data flow diagrams. However to get to your task-based deliverable, you need to task analysis. Data flow diagrams are a task analysis tool. I know that alot of people think that they are related to computers, and divorced from what the end user is doing. Not true; I have an industrial engineering background and have used them to diagram completely manual systems - where only end users and their tasks exist.

Data Flow Diagrams differ from the more popularly know task anlaysis technique in that, only with Data Flow Diagrams are the interrelationships between the tasks rigorously defined. Definition of the interrelationships is the lithmus test of completedness in task analysis. For larger-scale efforts this lithmus test of completedness is critical.

Generic Richard

Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
I know I shouldn't even ask (because it's Richard, and I've heard your
"data-flow diagrams are the solution to everything" schpiel MANY times
before), but I am honestly curious.

I'm a user. I'm on deadline, the boss is hovering every five minutes
asking me if I'm done yet. But I'm struggling with my new softare,
trying to figure out how to do what I need to do. In desperation, I
click the Help link.

How on earth will a data-flow diagram help me get my job done? How
will documenting function boxes and how they lead to other function
boxes help me, the user? Because I'm currently revising a set of
features-based documenation, and I'm finding them to be very unhelpful
in telling me what a user can do with the software.

In my mind, what I need is task-based user assistance, not a data-flow diagram.

Please don't make me regret asking....

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tech44writer%40yahoo.com

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList