Re: Spaces after full stop

Subject: Re: Spaces after full stop
From: brianlindgren -at- aol -dot- com
To: lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu, dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:16:37 -0400

Actually, typesetting had the rule of a single space after a period. It was typewriting that had two spaces -- again, because of the monotype issue (Courier font in the case of a typewriter).

Not sure about the rule for old hot type typesetting, but for all electronic typesetting, the rule was to use a single space after punctuation.

Even if this is the rule, though, there are times -- as with any convention -- that one needs to be flexible. For example, the rule to spell out numbers from nine down but to use digits for 10 and above. If a number starts a sentence I will generally spell it?out regardless of whether it exceeds 10, and for technical measurements digits are used regardless of whether the number is nine or less.

Often I add hyphens to words to avoid confusion regardless of whether the hyphen is necessary. I might need to tell someone that I "re-sent" a message so they won't think I "resent" it.