Re: Information Graphics "training"?

Subject: Re: Information Graphics "training"?
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:26:54 -0400

Rob,

I differ with the others answers you've gotten here. I would strongly
recommend against starting with tools. A person is not a carpenter because
they own a hammer and saw.
There are multitudes of books and websites on design but if you are looking
for course work, I suggest you start with the fundamentals of art and
design and learn about proper use of colors, what makes for good
composition, etc. After all there is a reason that there are degree
programs in graphic design and visual arts. If you actually take classes
you'll get to play with all the different tools and find out what you like
without having to investing anything or attempting to get a feel for these
advance software within 30 days.

Simple question on how far back you need to go (answer honestly without
google please):
What is the compliment of blue?
If you didn't immediately say orange, then it's time for art 100.

What is trapped white space, is it good or bad?
If you don't know, head for the fundamentals of design class.

Cheers!
-Greg

10/13/2007 06:48:47 PM:

> Hi all,
>
> I've become sort of an armchair fan of Tufte and have built a small
> collection of my favorite information graphic samples (including
> Royksopp's video "Remind Me").
>
> How much of developing snazzy info graphics requires training in art?
> What self-training curriculum could I implement to move from being a
> boring Visio Diagrammer to burgeoning Information Graphic Developer?
>

> --
> Rob Hudson
> PhD Student, Technical Comm. and Rhetoric
> Composition Assessment Software Developer
> Texas Tech University
> www.iteachwriting.com
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or

> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/gps03%
> 40health.state.ny.us

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList