RE: Referring to the name of a system (aka FrameMaker Variables vs. Conditional Text)

Subject: RE: Referring to the name of a system (aka FrameMaker Variables vs. Conditional Text)
From: "Butler, Darren J Ctr 584 CBSS/GBHAC" <Darren -dot- Butler -dot- ctr -at- Robins -dot- af -dot- mil>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:56:51 -0400

Beverly Robinson wrote: I use a template document to control the
definitions for the variables....

Thanx, Beverly.

Actually, that is probably the way to go, Caroline; I've just recently
begun to use a "dummy" document as a template for importing special
tags, variables, etc when I need them. I didn't even think about
mentioning that. It may be too late (or too much trouble) to reverse
engineer the current set of books, but you should definitely consider
Beverly's suggestion for the next batch. Having a mix of variables and
conditions for the same information may present its' own problems when
it comes to updating a document, but that may not be an issue for you.

I have had to "look under the hood" of other framers documents and
templates; I guess I still have nightmares about that. 8^@

As I illustrated off-list, as long as you orient the reader as to which
"unit" you're talking about, I think it's more natural to use
abbreviations and generic terms. You can use the proper nomenclature
only when it seems appropriate.

Blessings,

Darren

Darren J. Butler

Sr. Technical Writer-Editor, Template Wrangler, Mil-Spec Pharisee

Integrated Data for Maintenance

NG Corp