RE: Fostering Process-Change (Mercifully rescued from; Documentation Correctness was Re: How many levels ofindentsandheadsare reasonable?)

Subject: RE: Fostering Process-Change (Mercifully rescued from; Documentation Correctness was Re: How many levels ofindentsandheadsare reasonable?)
From: "Paul Hanson" <phanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:49:28 -0500

Yes.

When I started at job #1, on 2/10/95, my mentor had a stack of
programming changes to go through to update the user manual. It was
several inches deep. The status quo was that doc was a release behind
the software, meaning version 5 changes were included in the doc that
was released with Version 6.

I remember being in some discussions/meetings and, after those took
place, management decided that prior to QA accepting any programming
change, it needed to be signed off by a member of the doc department.
There was a routing sheet that had an area for us to sign off. If a
change was brought to QA, and one of us <there were three of us in the
dept> had not signed off, QA sent the programmer to us. There were
occasional "quick, read this b/c QA won't accept it until you sign off
and the client needs this yesterday" situations but, eventually,
programmers got the hang of it and would bring their project to us.
There were certain types of changes that were internal and did not
require any doc. There were also client-specific changes that we did not
document - we only maintained doc for the 'base system' and any
client-specific changes were the responsibility of the client/services
team.

I left that job on 2/10/98 and what they have done since is anyone's
guess. I can say that the doc matched the system for the releases I was
involved in during the time I was there after this process change was
implemented.

Paul Hanson
Technical Writer
RoboHelp ACE -
http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/robohelp.html
Quintrex Data Systems http://www.quintrex.com
email: phanson at quintrex.com

From: "Butler, Darren J Ctr 584 CBSS/GBHAC"

Would it be fair to say that a company's TW department has some level of
responsibility in (at least attempting to) point out any short-comings
and errors of the developmental process? The TWs may be the only "canary
in the coal mine" to alert that things are going horrible wrong -- just
before we pass out.

I guess it all depends on whether or not the documentation is parallel
to product development or an after - (w-a-a--y after) - thought.

Have any of you successfully fostered process-change?

Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats
or printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista &
2007 Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as PHanson -at- quintrex -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/phanson%40quintrex.co

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList