Re: Digest Reply

Subject: Re: Digest Reply
From: "CapDev Communications" <capdev -dot- communications -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:00:02 -0700

Hi Patty,

I've been looking at RPI's program, too. I had not realized that you could
complete the requirements via distance learning.

I just checked the website. The MS in technical communication is still
listed as a current graduate program. (I was checking the doctoral program
at RPI.)

I undertook the MS in professional and technical communication at New Jersey
Institute of Technology. It, too, is available via distance learning.
Contact Nancy Walters Coppola, Director, MS-PTC, at
nancy -dot- w -dot- coppola -at- njit -dot- eduor check the website
http://www.njit.edu/v2/MSPTC/

Pat Egan

On 10/18/07, Blount, Patricia A <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com> wrote:

> Good morning, all,
>
> I'm on digest and after this week's 'pissing contest' as Will called it,
> I'm sure you all appreciate why. I saw Bill's post about Rensselaer and
> wanted to comment.
>
> Bill mentioned Rensselaer's amazing graduate degree program, of which I
> was fortunate to have studied some years back. (Unfortunately, I did not
> complete the degree program. My employer was footing the tuition bills
> and I'd elected to stop during a period of extreme uncertainty here -
> well, more than usual.)
>
> Why 'amazing'? First, the entire program was offered via distance
> learning. I could view video recordings of actual classroom instruction
> held earlier that week, or I could participate live via a remote
> classroom connection, combined with chatroom monitoring. If I had a
> question, I typed it in and a student assistant asked it in class.
>
> The curriculum was particularly well-rounded. I studied task analysis,
> writing for the web, interface design and usability principles - in
> which I was introduced to the genius of Donald Norman and Jakob Nielsen.
> If you're unfamiliar with this duo, please check out www.nngroup.com. I
> collaborated on projects with on-campus students as well as other
> distance students, like me. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the
> experience.
>
> I want to go back and finish the degree now that my employer has
> stabilized a bit and I am confident I can again use my tuition
> reimbursement benefits. However, RPI has killed off the tech-comm
> degree. They offer an HCI degree instead (Human Computer Interaction). I
> have about five courses left to take toward tech-comm - not sure if
> they'll let me transfer all my credits toward the HCI degree, but it's
> worth finding out.
>
> Rensselaer was a fantastic learning experience... I'd love to hear about
> similar institutions, especially those offering distance learning.
>
> Patty Blount

> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList<http://www.doctohelp.com/TechwrlList>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
> capdev -dot- communications -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/capdev.communications%40gmail.com

Patricia Egan
P. O. Box 194391