Re: Buying software as an independent contractor

Subject: Re: Buying software as an independent contractor
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:24:37 -0700

If you are working an assignment as an employee of any
company, whether it is the client being serviced or a third
party such as an agency, your independent contractor status
for that assignment is at risk. It doesn't matter whether you
are working as an employee of the client or of another
company. You don't want to be receiving W2s from
*anyone* for any project you intend to claim 1099 status
for.

The only way to work through an agency and ensure
independent status is if the agency provides services to
you, that is, it bills clients on your behalf and processes
invoices and payments and charges you for the service,
either as a flat fee or a percentage of the amounts handled.

Gene Kim-Eng