Re: Additions to Technical Communication Skills

Subject: Re: Additions to Technical Communication Skills
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Tim Mantyla <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:06:43 -0700 (PDT)

This is a promising thread.

Do we add researching, investigative and forensics skills?

What about user interaction, intergface design?

Bill collector dodging and tall tale telling?

http://www.techwr-l.com/articles/employment/technicalcommunicationskills
> I was looking for this re: the person wondering about job
> requirements for
> beginning tech writers...
>
> I've added to these, feel free to keep adding & fine tuning.
>
> Skill areas: Computer, Technical, Organization/Planning and
> Communication
> General
> · Graphics software packages
> · Word processing software
> · Online authoring software
> Help authoring tools (HATs)
> · Online editors
> · Desktop publishing
> · Project planning software
> Specific Applications
> · PC and Macintosh
> · Configuring Windows 95, 2000, NT, XP, Vista
> · Microsoft Word
> · Help Workshop
> · Adobe Acrobat
> · Adobe FrameMaker
> · Adobe PageMaker
> · Adobe RoboHelp
> · Doc-To-Help
> · Help & Manual
> · Madcap Flare
> · Ventura
> · UNIX
> · Linux
> · HTML, XHTML, SGML, XML and DITA
> Content Management Systems (CMS)
> · C++ code
> · COBOL code
> · Java
> · Visual Basic
> · 16-bit and 32-bit online help systems
>

> Hard Skills
> · Concise, audience-appropriate writing
> · Minimalist writing
> · Production, copy, and substantive editing
> Proofreading & page markup
> · Web page development
> · Online help development
> Soft Skills
> · Creativity, imagination, visualization
> Research
> Listening
> · Analyzing audiences
> · Writing from point of view of user/reader
> · Interviewing people (SMEs and others)
> · Facilitating meetings
> · Analyzing & managing a project/multiple projects
> · Working productively as part of a team
> · Working without direct supervision
> · Meeting deadlines
> · Understanding the product
> · Analyzing, planning, prioritizing and organizing skills
> · Familiarity with mediums such as user manuals, marketing
> literature, technical illustrations, documentation, etc.
>

> Tim Mantyla
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file
> formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista &
> 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/athloi%40yahoo.com

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList