Re: What is the best way of getting feedback?

Subject: Re: What is the best way of getting feedback?
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: "SB" <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:24:35 -0500

Sylvia,

Thoughts from someone who works both sides of that fence:

A good freelancer follows the standards, procedures and cultural dictates of his/her client. If the procedures are faulty, the consultant recommend improvements, but never insists upon them. In this case, if he continues to insist on his way to the detriment of your working relationships with your reviewers, consider terminating the agreement. You're not getting the ROI you need for the aggravation you're putting up with.

For reviewing drafts, I would use a combination of 2 and 3. 1 is beyond cumbersome and smacks of short-sighted ego-centric process wonkiness.

Set up meetings if that is the acceptable way of handling reviews in your organization. I'd much rather go the email and phone call route wherever possible, because I find review meetings often counter-productive (everyone's a writer, right?), but that's my preference, not necessarily my clients'.

Minimize the number of reviewers, use track changes, and establish one of your duties as the final arbiter of the changes.

People have already proven that they have no intention of learning his method and adapting... and as a freelance he shouldn't be expecting them to.

Good luck!

Connie P. Giordano
The Right Words
Communications & Information Design
(704) 957-8450 (cell)

www.therightwords.com
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList