Re: Additions to Technical Communication Skills

Subject: Re: Additions to Technical Communication Skills
From: Tim Mantyla <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com>
To: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:45:16 -0400

Nice additions, all of you!

Does proofreading include spell-checking? Yes, in my book. But it's only a
subset of it, since automated spell check dictionaries can be updated to
include incorrect words, and don't catch incorrect usage when the word is
spelled correctly. I update mine all the time to include, for example,
"rcv" as my abbrev. form of "receive." I recently read several pieces in
newspapers and blogs using the word "flaunt" in place of the correct
"flout."

We should add some form of
· Attention to detail
· (somewhat) obsessive rewriting
· (somewhat) obsessive error-checking

I was thinking about, and recently read that "listening is not overtly
taught" in schools. We think we know what it is, but are we all on top of
our game with listening skills?

It is a huge, vital skill, along with seeing (as opposed to looking),
since so much learning depends on it.

--Tim

http://www.techwr-l.com/articles/employment/technicalcommunicationskills

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList