Re: Anyone had problems with the Help in Doc-To-Help?

Subject: Re: Anyone had problems with the Help in Doc-To-Help?
From: "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Tim Mantyla" <TimMantyla -at- nustep -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 13:01:55 -0500

I used D2H on my last contract assignment that ended a month ago. I
evaluated demo versions of:

RoboHelp
Flare
AuthorIT
Doc-To-Help

and a couple other non-memorable HATs.

Given that I started with an essentially complete and well-structured Word
document, I was extremely disappointed in how all of the HATs except D2H
imported my Word document. D2H was the only one that actually imported the
Word document without losing all of the screen captures I had used in the
document (all linked into the document rather than embedded). Now one can
disagree with my own personal style guide that allows the use of screen
captures in online help documents but that was the choice I made and I
wasn't about to take a Word document that had ~125 linked images and have to
go through the whole thing after importing it into the HAT just to get back
to where I was when I started.

I was also gratified to learn that I could continue to maintain the document
in Word, which allows me to almost instantly generate high-quality PDFs with
linked bookmarks, then open my D2H project and generate my online help file
or web help just as quickly. This allows me to maintain my print/PDF
workflow and use my tool of choice (Word).

I basically learned D2H by exploring and didn't resort to the online help
much at all (as far as I remember). At any rate, I don't have any negative
views on its online help. However, my thought on those sorts of things is
that even though they produce a powerful and complex tool, they may not
necessarily have a technical writer who's skilled enough to produce a good,
solid online help system. One way many technical writers and help authors
fall down on the job is in their indexing skills. That doesn't appear to be
something that's taught in the degree programs and seems to pretty much fall
by the wayside in practice.

All things considered, I've concluded that D2H should be my HAT of choice
for the foreseeable future.

Best regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer