Re: Portland, Maine -- nice city to call home?

Subject: Re: Portland, Maine -- nice city to call home?
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:05:47 -0500

> That's the problem I'm afraid of seeing. Does beautiful and quaint equal
> little or no techcomm industry?
>
> Does reaching techcomm mean going more developed and industrialized, and
> less beautiful and quaint?

Not always, but really, most tech goes urban or at least suburban.
Quaint places are so for a reason. It's a give and take. Do you want a
hot market and good career/salary potential, or do you want to slow
life down to its fundamental elements? I'm not saying it's stoic in
Portland ME, but life does slow down and you can enjoy a lot of the
simpler things in life, but usually at a cost to your earnings. There
are industries in Portland, but there's not much around unless you
drive a ways. NH has a lot of tech (lots of Mech-E and Bio-E
companies), but that's a bit of a commute.

As with anything, it's a give and take. Personally, if I didn't have
kids that I need to put through college, I'd have moved to Cape Cod
years ago.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter