RE: Salutation Question: Hi Fred, or Hi, Fred ?

Subject: RE: Salutation Question: Hi Fred, or Hi, Fred ?
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Pinkham, Jim'" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>, "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:35:19 -0800

I tend to treat the greeting of "Hi" the same as I treat the greeting
"Dear." There is not a comma in a "Dear Sirs" greeting, so I do not put a
comma in the "Hi Friend" greeting for addressing email. Also, I have never
really given much thought to email "rules." The rules I use in formal
correspondence in email are generally the same as what I use in a printed
letter. I do relax some rules in formal email messages (I use a comma
rather than a colon and "Hi" rather than "Dear") and I rarely follow any
strict rules in informal messages. My informal writing tends to follow
preference, rather than rules. My preferences tend to follow how I think
the message will be received, rather than how I think it should be sent. As
I stated previously, I think that "Hi, Friend, my message follows" is more
dramatic than "Hi Friend, ..." because of how it sounds in my head. That's
a preference and not a rule.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList