RE: Re-upping STC membership?

Subject: RE: Re-upping STC membership?
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:25:02 -0500

A clarification:

My gripe is not that STC is charging extra for detailed access to its
salary survey.

My gripe is that they have been promoting the salary survey as a member
benefit without providing the benefit since 2005 -- and they are still
promoting it as a member benefit.

Say what you do, and do what you say. If you change the process, change
the documentation for that process -- and check the documentation of all
of the other processes that refer to it. If STC can't do this, who the
heck can?

It's embarrassing that my "professional association" is not following
this most basic rule of good documentation -- or their own published
ethics, for that matter.

I'm inclined to re-up my membership and continue my local activity for
the networking aspect. It's a good way to identify people I might like
to work with some day (and those that nobody could pay me to share an
office building with).

I wouldn't miss the publications. Which in itself says something about
those.

The ethical question is deep and disturbing to me. I am very much not
sure I want to be associated with an organization that doesn't follow
its own ethics statement, and I sure can't recommend it to anybody else
while it's behaving like that.

I have about a month to decide. No rush.

Dori Green

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList