RE: STC Salary data collection

Subject: RE: STC Salary data collection
From: "Joe Campo" <joe -dot- campo -at- solidworks -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:31:53 -0500

Karen Zorn provided the bls link.
1\ Tech writers are listed under arts, design, entertainment, sports,
and media occupations. I don't think that's our sweet spot.
2\ All I see are mean hourly and annual rates. And rates by sub-sets in
my state. Can you get more detailed info from BLS, similar to what the
STC survey provided (by experience, by age, by job description, etc)?
Otherwise, this info is useless. I agree with Gene and others who posted
re same.
3\ This info should be provided free by STC as part of membership. Why
do you need a webinar to understand how to search for salary info? If
that's the case, the application UI is poor. I know this list could
easily write a Help file to explain it, instead of require members to
pay 99$ for instructions and a pdf. It is a whack job.
4\ Several years ago, I successfully used the STC data in combination
with a personal salary report from salary.com, to negotiate a raise to
market value. I'm sticking with salary.com.
5\ STC should have surveyed membership going this route. I hope they are
disappointed in the lack of response.
Joe Campo
------------------------------

Message: 29
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:51:38 -0700
From: "Karen L. Zorn" <k -dot- zorn -at- zorntech -dot- com>
To: "'Stephen Arrants'" <steve -at- mbfbioscience -dot- com>,

Stephen Arrants wrote:
I just received an email about the upcoming Salary Seminar. I'm a little
angry that in addition to increased dues, we're supposed to pay $90 for
the full report. It should be available to members without additional
cost.

***
And an STC buddy sent me the following:

This is whack! The US Bureau of Labor Statistics are available free of
charge to anyone who visits their website. Why pay $99.00 for something
you
can easily do yourself.

Here's the direct link to the Arizona stats:
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_AZ.htm

Karen L. Zorn
Zorn Technologies, Inc.
Mesa, AZ